Farting, as funny as it is, can often be uncomfortable and even strenuous. However, it is a natural phenomenon that happens to all of us and there is no way to avoid it. Neither men nor women.
Why do we fart?
Farting occurs actually due to trapped air or gas that is created for various reasons. If you want a scientific explanation, farting consists of these components: about 60% nitrogen, 20% hydrogen, 9% carbon dioxide, 7% methane and 4% oxygen.
Here are some reasons why farting occurs:
• Ingested air while having breakfast or drinking something
• Due to the increased level of bacteria in the intestines that cause a chemical reaction
• Carbohydrates that are not digested enough
• Our body cannot absorb certain nutrients
• Health problems
Some of these gases are absorbed by our body while others have to get out of somewhere.
Why do we fart often?
This varies from person to person, but mainly the biggest reason is the food. Certain foods are more likely to cause flatulence. Such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, lactose-rich foods (for those intolerant), nuts, eggs, asparagus, beans, lentils and all foods high in fiber. Other causes of frequent gas are hormonal disorders, stress, constipation, pregnancy, smoking, aging, or certain health problems.
Why does fart sometimes stink so badly?
The reason why farts smell bad is because of a substance called hydrogen sulfide, known as the smell of “rotten egg”. It is created when bacteria in the stomach make chemical compounds from ordinary chemicals that do not actually smell.
Interesting facts about farting:
• As much as 99% of the gases do not stink
• On average, people fart about 14-20 times a day
• You can’t “save” it and then it will disappear, you must “drop” it
• In one day we can fill an entire balloon with gas
• The fart comes out at about 11 kilometers per hour
• There are pills that can make your fart smell like rose or chocolate
• There are people who make money by farting
• Dogs love the smell of farts
• While flying, we often fart due to pressure
• There is a tribe in South America called the Janomani which are greeted by farting.
Do you burn calories by farting?
“The average adult has 0.5 to 1.5 liters of gas per day in their digestive tract. People can emit gas up to 20 times a day, which is quite a normal number. If you burn 67 calories in one fart, you would burn 1340 calories a day” explains Dr. Spencer Nadolski. This means that every two to three days you could lose a pound just by farting, which is crazy. We can’t lose weight by emitting gases. It is not an effective way to lose weight at all, so in no case can it replace exercise or any other effective and proven way to lose weight.
How to fart less?
• Eat less and slower.
• Reduce carbohydrates
• Less sugar and starch
• Check which foods you are intolerant to
• Drink water between meals
• Get more magnesium.